Lots of things and than the eclipse.

Welcome back everyone.

A lot has happened since we last wrote a blog almost 3 weeks ago. During that time, our perspective about life changed and I can say with certitude that we no longer see ourselves tied to computers screens, or T.V. The way we see it is; why see other people on YouTube have fun when we can be those people and live an adventurous life outside of the couch?  It’s as if we have been given a new pair of eyes to finally see the world in a new way! We were hungry for more. In these 3 weeks of downtime Abby, Eyra and I needed to catch up with life before continuing our fabulous adventures. We did not chose to just simply lay low but also had to because we no longer had our adventure-mobile (car). Since our SUV was affected by the VW “diesel gate” scandal, Abby and I decided that it was for the best to sell our SUV back to VW and eventually get a new one. In the meantime, my niece, brother and sister in law made the effort to come visit us from Colorado and it was great! Our niece Devon had the chance to spend a whole week with us, and even got to babysit Eyra (which they both LOVED). It’s always nice to see a familiar face (family) despite the fact that we live in different states. Eyra loved that she had yet another person (our niece Devon) to play and have fun with. We even got to take them to Adventureland (in Altoona, IA) which likes to pretend its Iowa’s own Disneyland! The heat was brutal that day, so most of our time was lazing around the pool like this!

I cannot believe that our daughter now is 2 years old. Where has the time gone? Clearly time flies by when we are having a blast. Eyra has made our life even more interesting and just because we are parents doesn’t necessarily mean we stop doing the things we once did, instead we include Eyra in our adventures. We have always tried to introduce the sense of adventure in her at a young age.

The Iowa State Fair happened and we made an appearance. I must say! Personally, I get peopled out too quickly and we were only at the fair for maybe 3 hours before we called it quits but we had fun while it lasted. We got to see the epic butter cow, eat an egg on a stick, buy a “cup-o-cookies”, and people watch! Eyra’s favorite part was by far what we call the “baby barn”! This whole building consists of pregnant animals during the fair and you can get text alerts when an animal has gone into labor! Crazy right? We got to see baby goats, freshly hatched chickens (or patitos), baby ostriches (which by the way, are surprisingly adorable), piglets and so many more. Eyra was squeling with delight as we saw all the little babies!

Our next adventure was probably the most frustrating one of all… I am going to try to make this story as short as possible. Hunting for a car is not only frustrating but time consuming and even more so if you already have your mind set on one specific vehicle. That being said, Abby and I had concluded that we wanted yet another VW Touareg because gee!!! They are kick ass vehicles! You get both luxury and off-road capabilities, though some will argue against that, but we know they are just being a bunch of haters. Anyway, we found a Touareg that we liked, the location of this vehicle was Denver, CO. Abby and I have made that trip lots of times but we didn’t want to drive nor fly to get the vehicle, so what did we do? We had the car transferred from Denver to Iowa. It took 2 weeks to get to Iowa (even though its only a ten hour drive) and by the time it arrived, the dealership had lost the title and it was going to take yet another 4 weeks for the dealership to receive the title. After lots of naughty words and morale hitting to a low point (on my end, Abby is always a positive thinker) we decided to not get the vehicle and to start looking somewhere else. My father in law found the exact car with the specifications that Abby and I were looking for and cheaper and lower miles! The downside was that the vehicle was located in Oregon. So what did we do? Yeah!!! We bought it! My father in law did us a huge solid by offering to pick the vehicle up for us in Oregon but he was not going to bring the car to Iowa but instead, he was going to drive it to Denver, CO! Do you know where this is going? Not only were we going to pick up our sweet ride but we were also going to make this trip into a small vacation. Oh yeah!!

We flew out on Friday the 18th in the evening. Our awesome Padrinos kindly chauffeured us to the airport and us jet-setters took off! We got to the gate about an hour and fifteen minutes ahead of time and settled in. We soon found that our flight had been delayed from an 8:15pm departure to 8:45pm. That didn’t phase us at all. Eyra decided it was not approaching bed time, and instead she should start doing what we have deemed “Cirque de SoEyra”. This art entails more jumping, rolling and climbing than you can comprehend. Luckily, everyone around us enjoyed the entertainment while we waited for our plane to arrive. Finally, we had boarded the plane by 8:40pm and we settled into our seats. Both of us parents were thinking… man, Eyra is definitely going to fall asleep! NOPE!!! She stayed awake the whole flight!!! We ended up getting to Denver at 10 pm (11pm Iowa time) and we were pooped but we were greeted by Risa and Dave (my in-laws) and also our sick new ride! F*ck!!! It is pretty sweet and we drove home (in-laws house) and went straight to bed since the following day was already booked (luckily Eyra fell asleep quickly… since it was after midnight when she fell asleep!!!)! As Saturday arrived, Abby, Eyra and I met with my Edgar, Karla and Jessica at a restaurant called Syrup which, conveniently enough, was a block away from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science which we planned on heading to after breakfast. We had a blast and as always we only wish we had more time on our hands but we made the best of it while it lasted.

We met my mother in-law at the museum and Eyra loved the T-rex the moment we walked into the museum. Abby and I used to be members of the museum when we lived in Denver but now, it wouldn’t make sense to have the membership. Eyra loved every minute of the museum and honestly, we wasted our time in bringing the stroller since all she wanted to do was walk around and play with the dinosaurs and the animal displays. Her favorite area was the planetarium and let’s not forget Prehistoric Journey.

I goofed around with my wide angle lens and took a few pictures that I thought were decent to show. Take a look!

The museum is amazing as always.

After arriving back to my in-laws’ house, my sister in-law, niece and nephew came over for an awesome dinner of spaghetti and corn! As you can see, Eyra loves corn!

On Sunday, Edgar met us at my in-laws for breakfast before our day unfolded with plenty more events. Our nephew’s birthday party was happening at Chuck-e Cheese and Eyra had a blast. Not to mention that Eyra was glued on to the carrousel since she kept saying that she loved the horsey! We had to improvise to distract her from going back to the carrousel.

The talk of the day was yes, of course the eclipse which everyone was freaking out about. Our original plan (Abby and I) was to stay in Beatrice, Nebraska but since most places were booked even though we looked into it months in anticipation (March) prices were nearing $1000 per night at 2 star hotels. I don’t know about you but leveling a grand for an event that may not cooperate with you (50/50) weather permitting seems like a bit of a gamble. We left at 4:00am and headed to Lincoln NE. the weather was intense since we encountered thick fog and the visibility was minimal. The fog appeared in Fort Morgan and it dissipated in Gothenburg, NE. Yup that’s quite the drive (217.6 miles of fog).

Once we arrived to Lincoln NE, one of the coolest experiences that we ever had took place. The eclipse was super cool. When we arrived to our destination the weather was not cooperating as it was overcast. We met a cool family that drove all the way from MN to see this event and I am not going to lie, the first 35 minutes of the eclipse were perfect and the clarity was spectacular. Eyra however, she didn’t waste a minute of time before befriending the little Minnesota girls. They all had a blast playing with Barbies and Eyra’s new Moana doll while the adults gawked at the sun through their filtered glasses. Since the clouds showed up, the visibility of the eclipse through my camera lens was hindered significantly. Despite the poor visibility, I was able to get a couple of shots of the awesomeness of the eclipse.

You be the judge.

The totality did not disappoint. As the moon finished eclipsing the sun, the sky began to darken. Abby and I had thought that the total eclipse would resemble that of a really cloudy day, when you can’t see the sun. But, boy were we wrong. The sky darkened significantly yet all around the horizon was a pinkish-orange hue that reminded us of a sun rise. It was beautiful (and slightly creepy especially since Abby kept saying this would be the perfect time for zombies to attack) and quite the sight to see.  One day Eyra will ask us, what was it like? We won’t have to say a thing but rather show her what she took part off that day!

To be continued…



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s